Breast augmentation is the most popular plastic surgery procedure in the United States for a reason. It can help women improve their appearance and self-confidence.
At Farrell Plastic Surgery & Laser Center, Dr. Leo Farrell is dedicated to helping women achieve the body they’ve always desired. He is a board-certified plastic surgeon with more than 20 years of experience. Dr. Farrell serves Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg, and surrounding areas of Pennsylvania. Call (717) 732-9000 today to schedule a potentially life-changing breast augmentation consultation.
Benefits of Breast Augmentation
Women choose to undergo breast augmentation for several practical and aesthetic reasons, including:
- Enlarging small breasts
- Increasing breast fullness
- Improving self-confidence
- Restoring breast volume lost because of childbirth, weight loss, or aging
- Revising a previous breast augmentation
Am I a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
If you’re in good overall health, you’re probably a candidate. Other factors that influence your candidacy include:
- Age: You must be 22 years old to receive silicone implants.
- Pregnancy: If you’re currently pregnant, you won’t be able to get breast implants until at least six months after you are finished breastfeeding.
- Smoking: If you smoke, you must be willing to quit before surgery and throughout your recovery.
Types of Breast Implants
Dr. Farrell offers both silicone and saline implants. During your breast augmentation consultation, he’ll discuss your goals with you to help you determine which implant best meets your needs.
- Silicone implants consist of a silicone shell filled with a silicone gel. Silicone is thicker than saline, so these implants have a more natural look and feel. They aren’t as prone to leakage as saline implants and can hold their shape better if they do rupture.
- Gummy bear implants are a newer form of silicone implant filled with a cohesive, form-stable silicone gel. They also have a teardrop shape that more naturally fits the anatomical contours of your breast than traditional, rounded implants. Gummy bear implants are often textured, which allows the breast tissue to grow into them. This drastically reduces the chance of the implant slipping.
Breast Implant Incision Location
Dr. Farrell performs breast augmentation using inframammary incisions, which are made in the natural folds under your breasts. This allows your scar to be discreetly hidden and also preserves your nipple sensation.
Breast Implant Placement Options
As with the location of your incision, you have options for the placement of your implant. Dr. Farrell will discuss them with you and help you choose one based on your goals and lifestyle:
- Subglandular: Your implants are placed beneath your breast tissue but above your chest muscle.
- Submuscular: Your implants are placed underneath your chest muscles.
- Dual-plane: The upper portion of your implants is placed partly under your pectoral muscles, and the lower part is above the muscle.
Submuscular implants have a subtler, more natural appearance, but may not be suited for women who have athletic lifestyles that require the use of their chest muscles. Those women may prefer subglandular implants that don’t interfere with chest muscles. Dual-plane implants offer the benefits of both with minimized trade-offs.
Breast Augmentation Surgery
Despite the various choices you make in determining your implant type, incision location, and implant placement, all breast augmentation surgeries largely follow the same steps. They take about one hour and are performed on an outpatient basis:
- You’ll be given anesthesia and made comfortable in our surgery room.
- Farrell will make incisions and place your implants.
- When finished, Dr. Farrell will seal the incisions with sutures or surgical tape.
Recovery After Breast Augmentation
Your recovery process will depend on your body’s natural healing ability, the particulars of the procedure, and other factors. However, you can generally expect some post-operative pain that will subside a couple of days after the procedure. You will also experience soreness and swelling for up to several weeks.
It’s important to follow Dr. Farrell’s post-operative instructions to ensure your recovery goes as well as possible. Dr. Farrell will provide you with a compression garment to help reduce swelling and support your breasts. It’s vital to wear this until he clears you to wear sports bras.
This is a general timeline for breast augmentation recovery:
- 1-2 weeks before you can return to work
- 30 days before you can wear a sports bra
- 6 weeks before you resume strenuous activities
- 3 months until you can wear regular bras
Schedule Your Breast Augmentation Consultation Today
Dr. Farrell has more than 20 years of experience helping women achieve greater self-confidence through breast augmentation. He serves Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg, and surrounding areas of Pennsylvania. Call (717) 732-9000 today to schedule a consultation.